At one point or another, we all wonder how to increase self-confidence. So many of us are too prone to look down at the floor or fail to believe in ourselves. What practical things can we do to boost our self-esteem and get out into the world?
Thankfully, you’re not alone!
10 Ways of How to Increase Self-Confidence
- Be positive. How often do you find yourself down in the dumps and defeated? Sometimes all it takes is a positive perspective to see the glass as half full instead of half empty.
- Buy a new wardrobe. There’s just something about new clothes that boosts one’s own confidence in themselves. When you look good, you know it, and you want to show it.
- Take the time to groom yourself. Do your hair, your make-up, clip your beard, look sharp. When you’re clean, you’re confident that you’re putting your best foot forward.
- Practice eye-contact. Many who have low self-confidence spend most of their time looking at the floor. Look up once in a while and let others know you’re interested in what they have to say.
- Be kind to others. One of the many ways to help your heart have confidence in itself is to be a light for others when they are in darkness. Whether a kind word, buying them a coffee, or volunteering at the local shelter, you’ll find when you are kind to others, you can be kind to yourself as well.
- Increase your knowledge. If you want to get better at a sport, a hobby, or your job, do some research and grow your knowledge. Confidence comes with knowing what you’re talking about.
- Set small goals, then set out to achieve them. Small goals are attainable goals; don’t set a goal you cannot reach. Save $100, learn to cook a souffle, go hiking up a hard trail, whatever your small goal happens to be, you’ll only be proud of yourself when that goal is finally reached.
- Exercise. When you get out and walk or jog or whatever you happen to do, you’ll naturally feel better due to endorphins that are released during your workout. Not only will you be more confident in yourself when you’ve finished, but you’ll feel great all day long.
- Be thankful. How often thankfulness is overlooked as a stress reliever! Make a list of all the things you’re thankful for about yourself and be proud of yourself.
- Stand up straight. When you stand tall, your posture is more commanding rather than being hunched over toward the floor. Just as you should look someone in the eye, you should stand up and walk like you own the place.
Change Your Way of Thinking
If you truly want to know how to increase self-confidence, you have to change your way of thinking. Don’t mentally list all the negative things you see about yourself, else you’ll end up defeated. Instead, walk tall and give yourself the grace to take small steps toward a more confident life.